Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Egg Flop Omelette

Super healthy, super tasty breakfast...
Omelettes and I get along in kinda the same way that stir-fry and I get along... I like to eat 'em... but I kinda suck a cooking them.

My current theory is that this is because I like to fry my "fillings" and then pour the egg over them and cook it all together unlike a normal person - who either doesn't cook the fillings at all or cooks them separately from the egg part and actually using them to fill the omelette...

My may is easier - and requires less mess. But only when "mess" refers to the number of plates and pans required. The finished result invariably looks a mess... kinda like someone else already tried it and didn't think much of it...

But that's beside the point! Kat Omelettes are tasty and healthy. And that's what matters here. They involve egg, which is good for protein. Spinach (whenever possible) which is good for iron. Tomatoes, which I cook a bit to help prevent prostate cancer ( ;] ). And cheese which is good on everything. Oh! And they're cheap. And easy. Student-able. Yeah.

See how I managed to get the daisies in the background in perfect
focus? Yeah! Mad photography skills...
I dunno... Let's just read the instruction now.


You'll need:

For one person....

Some eggs, beaten with a little salt and pepper.

Some oil, or butter if butter is more your thing...
1 tsp cumin seeds
Some small onion, finely diced.
Some tomato, seeded and finely diced (seeding tomatoes is not hard. And  helps to prevent a soggy... whatever you're cooking)
Some capsicum, finely diced. If you have any.

Some grated cheese.

Some spinach, wilted.

A little yoghurt.
Some more cumin seeds.

Notice all the "some"s this is a to taste/fridge contents recipe... use what you have/like in quantities you can! :)

Fry the cumin, onion, tomato and capsicum in a little oil.

Pour over the beaten egg(s).

Sprinkle on the cheese - when the cheese is all melted the omelette is cooked.

You could try to flip it just in case... but my omelette flipping attempts usually result in spectacular failure sooo... I just don't bother trying anymore! And I'm a much happier person for it...

Serve the omelette on a plate with spinach, yoghurt and cumin on top. Or you could put the spinach in the omelette - if that's how you roll.

Yeah. Nom. While watching My Drunk Kitchen... because laughter makes you live longer.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I can totally relate to this post. Not having a dishwasher (and being really bad at flipping omelettes)I usually end up making a "scramble" and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! Scrambled eggs are so much more forgiving! :)

      Delete