Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Marvellous Miscellaneous Muesli


I'm not a huge fan of breakfast - I eat it because I have to - energy and metabolism and all that, but I rarely want to eat breakfast first thing in the morning...

As such, I have to "trick" myself into eating - by making the food more interesting! Pancakes or scrambled eggs... Most recently Muesli has been doing the trick for me! In preparation for emptying the cupboards to make room for the housesitter - I suggested that I make muesli to use up some of our left over bits... As such, the following is not so much a recipe as a set of guidelines or suggestions...


You'll need:

Enough rolled oats, quick oats, dessicated/shredded coconut, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, bran, sesame seeds, nuts (peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews etc) etc... to make 6 cups...

Enough dried fruit (raisins, chopped apricot, chopped dried pear, cranberries etc...), All-Bran, chocolate chips etc to make 4 cups

Enough oil to cover the bottom of a roasting pan, 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup, or golden syrup etc...), 1/4-1/2 cup peanut butter.

A little nutmeg, cinnamon, dried ginger etc...

Set oven to 180 degrees C... Cover the bottom of a large roasting pan with oil and peanut butter/honey - sprinkle over spices. Put the pan into the oven and allow it all to come up to temperature/melt...

When the oven has reached 180 degrees and the peanut butter and honey have softened/melt stir it all together in the pan before pouring over the the 6 cup mix (of anything roastable) gently stir everything a little bit to get it toasted and pop it back into the oven for 15-20 minutes. Stir the mix every 5 minutes or so to prevent it from over browning/burning.

Once the oats etc have reached your desired level of toastiness pull 'em out of the oven an allow to cool on the roasting dish for 10 or so minutes before stirring through the dried fruit/All Bran...

Once cool to room temperature pour the muesli into an airtight container... Don't worry if the oats etc are soft coming out of the oven - they crispen with time, just like cookies!

I like my muesli served with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Muesli recipe, looks and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys, I hope that if y'all ever get around to checking any of the recipes out they work for you! :)

    ReplyDelete