Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Caramel Sandwich Cookies

These have been heralded by my flatmates as "the best melting moment cookies ever!!!"

...I should have published these for Valentine's Day...
They vary slightly from traditional recipes because I've added a little milk to the dough so that it would be rollable so that I could make cookie cutter heart shapes.

But I still wanted that melting-moment feel - which is why I didn't use a standard sugar cookie dough...

The icing is runnier that I intended - because I wanted it to be frosting for my Choco-Caramel Cupcakes (I didn't post a recipe - but there's a picture of them...) but because this icing involves heat it's runnier and not fluffy like frosting... quite how I expected frosting I'm not sure... my brain was tired? But the icing is tasty! And it really made these cookies.

A note on frosting vs icing... if it's liquidy/doesn't hold its shape when piped, I call it icing - if it's pipeable and holds its shape, I call it frosting... and if it's totally liquid and runs everywhere with a mind of its own, I call it a "drizzle"... :)

Cookies on a Chess Board... Just 'Cause...
Read on for instructions on how to make your own crunchy, sweet cookies...


The cookie recipe sans milk comes from Cookie Creations... if you don't want cookie cutter cookies - omit the milk, roll the dough into balls, press flat with a fork and cook as per normal...

You'll need:

200g butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup plain flour
1 cup corn flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

enough milk to make a soft, cohesive dough - this will vary

Cream the butter and sugar together with 1tsp vanilla until light and fluffy...

Sift in the remaining dry ingredients and stir to mix well.

Slowly add a little milk at a time until the dough is soft and pliable (this took me about 2Tbsp of milk)...

Form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line a cookie sheet with paper.

Bring the dough up to room temperature (or near to)... and roll out until 5-7mm thick. Cut out shapes of your choosing and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Try to make sure you get an odd number... so that if you make a mistake you have a back up... if not, cook's treat!

Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are a light. golden brown.

Allow to cool on a rack while you prepare the icing.

Caramel Icing, from the Edmonds Cookery Book

1/2 cup brown sugar
10g butter
1 Tbsp (ish) milk
1/2 cup icing sugar

Heat the brown sugar, butter and milk over low heat in a small saucepan. Stir until the butter is totally melted and the sugar has dissolved. Take the mixture off the heat and stir in the icing sugar. Mix until completely incorporated. You may need to use a little more milk to achieve the right consistency...

Allow to cool slightly before spreading onto a cookie so that you can sandwich it with another.

Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. This cookie sandwich recipe is quite different than most that I've seen. I haven't seen recipes that use brown sugar for icing before. I'ts new to me. I don't know if I want to use runny icing though, is it really that runny? It stays in the cookie right? Looks like it! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icing is not runny, in that it's not totally liquid... it's more a case of if you were to pipe it with a star tip - it wouldn't hold the star shape... it won't spread much - but it's too weak to hold the star shape. Kinda like soft whipped vs hard whipped cream... Does that make sense? But, yes - it does stay in the cookie! :)

      Delete