Sunday, November 25, 2012

Taste & Create: Mushroom Ragout

This month I did my first Taste & Create in months and months and months and... ages!

Taste & Create is a monthly blogging event where the lovely Min of the Bad Girl's Kitchen pairs you up with another blogger and you each get to make, and report on one of each other's recipes.

This month I was paired with Min herself and I chose to experiment with her recipe for Mushroom Ragout... I followed the index link for FAST recipes because I didn't want to have to make anything too complicated. Complicated and/or time consuming are just not valid options when you're sharing a kitchen with 11 other people (not to mention their friends)!

And it was a good choice. As Min mentions in her own post - this ragout has bacon in it! How could it be anything but a good thing!


It came together very quickly with minimal effort and dishes and maximum flavour! I served mine over boiled brussel sprouts, rather than pasta - but this is a recipe for a sauce! Put it on whatever you want! It'd be awesome in a toastie-pie sandwich!

This is a tasty ragout that I've already made twice! I thoroughly recommend it!


I've scaled the recipe down from serving 6 to serving 1 - see Min's post for the full-scale version!

Ingredients:

3 rashers of streaky bacon

1/4 small onion, diced
8 button mushrooms, sliced

1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water (ish)
Dried oregano and black pepper to taste
Splash of red wine vinegar

Parmesan

Method:

Fry off the bacon and set aside on a paper towel...

In the bacon grease - brown off the mushrooms and onion until all the liquid has evaporated.

Stir in the tomato paste, vinegar pepper/oregano and water to make a sauce... cook off until slightly thickened.

Cut up the bacon and stir through.

Serve over your choice of carbohydrate and sprinkle with grated paresan cheese.

Enjoy! :D

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I had forgotten all about this dish! Great idea to serve it on Brussels sprouts. I'll have to make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! We've recently launched the site www.Recipesup.com, on our website you can promote your blog. I invite you to go and take a look. Your blog will be in the top rank of Recipesup blogs. Hopefully your food blog will be up there in the top!

    www.Recipesup.com

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete