Thursday, August 4, 2011

Real World Wednesdays:Chicken Soup

There are two reasons that this post is currently going image-less and neither of them is "because Kat was too hungry/lazy/forgot to take a photo" they are a) I'm at Uni and Uni doesn't like uploading photo's for me... and b) my flat internet is down to dial up speed. This, in NZ is not a rare occasion, unfortunately. In New Zealand the interwebs SUCK!!!

Also. Google Chrome can't spell "Zealand" just FYI...

So, in honour of RWW (and just to prove that I can stick with something for more than one week) I took a photo of my dinner even though it was made in a rush and is not particularly exciting... Real, honest student food then!

Chicken Soup. I blended mine with a stick-blended because clear broth with floaties freaks me out no end! I also chucked some bacon in - because it was there. The bacon gave the soup a faintly smokey smell and after tasted. Joshee (boyfriend) said it tasted like "soup" but that he was please with me for making him eat soup because it's not so bad after all... Or words to that effect!

There was also a chilli in this soup. Gave the soup some bite. And a litre of store-bought chicken stock because a) it was on special when I bought it and b) I hadn't gotten around to stripping the chicken carcass of meat yet (and by "I", I mean Joshee...) because I wanted to put that meat into my soup!

Steamy, hot, and screaming "Delicious!"


So read on for a set of guidelines to make your own 60-Minute Chicken Soup...

First off fry:
3 onions, diced
3 gloves of garlic, crushed
1 chilli, sliced
3 rashers streaky bacon, haphazardly slashed at with a pair of scissors
with 1 Tbsp of oil

Once bacon is cookedish and onions/garlic translucent:
stir in 2 Tbsp of flour, 1/2 tsp tumeric and 1 tsp dried rosemary...

Now tip in:
5 tiny, diced potatoes
2 carrots

Fry for a bit until carrots/potatoes pick up colour...

Next:
Pour over 1 litre of chicken stock plus 500 mls of water and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes and carrots are mashable.

Bizz-izz with a stick blender (or don't - if you can cope with brothy floaties!) and add 2 Tbsp of milk and 3 Tbsp of LSA (because I could, not a necessity!). Once the soup if sufficiently homogeneous chuck in a cup or so of shredded chicken.

Serve with cheesy toast!

Use this as a guide - don't have potatoes? Use kumara or  pumpkin! Got a leek lying around? Throw it in! Vegetarian? Use vegetable stock and don't chuck the chicken or bacon in! Have fun with it - soup's good for your soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment