Monday, March 12, 2012

Peanut Chocolate Cookies

I looove peanuts! In fact, I looove just about every nut I can think of... :) But peanuts are pretty awesome. Especially because they're affordable even when you're broke. Unlike almonds and macadamias... Snobs.


I wanted to make a really peanut-y peanut and chocolate chip cookie! But I didn't have a recipe that was going to offer what I wanted it to - so I developed my own!

I thought about substituting all the butter from an original recipe for peanut butter - but Google suggested that that wouldn't work... So I subbed half. I also halved the quantity of sugar (surprise!) and made the chocolate chip measurement half chocolate chunks/half salted, roasted peanuts, added in some refrigeration time... and then I made the cookies HUGE!!!

I don't know why I do this. I like crunchy cookies. And I like gooey cookies. But I do not like cakey cookies. I know this. And I also know that taking a "should be" crunchy cookie and making it HUGE will result in a cakey cookie... and therefore I won't looove it... but I find the allure of a ginormous cookie too strong! And have yet to learn to listen to my inner voice which says "Kat. No."... but that voice does seem to know only those two words... so I've learned (learnt?) to drown it out!

In an effort to combat the huge cookies = cakey cookies equation I did refrigerate the dough for about an hour before baking them. Apparently something to do with the butter melting from scratch inside the cookies helps ensure fudginess? Or something... I can't quite remember the mechanics of it all! I think if I hadn't subbed half the butter for peanut butter this may have worked... but as peanut butter isn't famous for its melting properties... gooeyness was not achieved.

The flavour was great, though - so I'd recommend that future cookies are made normal sized and enjoyed two at a time. With milk. All cookies should be enjoyed with milk. :)


P.S. My favourite chocolate chip cookie recipe makes HUGE and gooey cookies... but the amount of butter required is astronomical... and convincing my Mother that making them is a good idea is not an easy task... but watch this space!


You'll need:

60g butter - soft, at room temperature
60g smooth peanut butter (in the interest of honesty, my peanut butter is always crunchy... but I think smooth would work better!)
25g sugar

3tsp sweetened condensed milk (this is a really irritating quantity, I know - what are you supposed to do with the rest of it?! Make more cookies? Eat it? Make masala chai? (Note to self - make masala chai!)... Or, do what I did - wait until your flatmate has made cookies and doesn't know what to do with the left over sweetened condensed milk and, very kindly, offer to use it up for her... in return for a couple of cookies!)
1 tsp vanilla essence

175g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder

50g chocolate, chopped into chunks
25g roasted, salted peanuts

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugar until light and fluffy - then beat in vanilla and sweetened condensed milk.

Sift in and mix the dry ingredients.

Stir through the chocolate and peanuts.

Refrigerate for up to 1 hour.

Set oven to 180 degrees C.

Make the cookies into small balls and flatten onto a greased/lined cookie sheet (unless you like cakey cookies - in which case, go huge!)... bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a light, golden brown.

Serve warm with milk. Or at room temperature, with milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment