Monday, November 21, 2011

At Last! Nigella's Rizty Chicken Nuggets = Kat's Oaty Chicken Nuggets

Do you remember ages, and ages ago... back when I was trying to post regularly what I ate on Wednesday and I posted about a Nigella Feast that consisted of Blood and Guts potatoes, and Orange Sesame dressed salad and oatmeal chicken nuggets...?

Well. The link to the potatoes is above - but that's as far as I got. Today, I will post for you - the Chicken Nuggets!

Not the most beautiful things, are they?
I attribute the pale-ness of these little babies to their oatie coating, and the fact that they were oven baked, rather than deep fried. The first time I made 'em I used crush cornflakes, Nigella uses crushed savoury crackers - both of these mediums make for excellent crunch... Rolled oats, although not crunchy, will do in a pinch! They feel healthier too...

Nigella says that the buttermilk, or in my case - yoghurt, "marinade" makes for a more succulent, tender nibble - I've never tried without the marinade so I can't validate that - but it sure makes the coating easier!

These are tasty little morsels that are easy to make, and will be made in the future. Valid student food too!


Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts - cut into strips
Enough yoghurt or buttermilk to coat said chicken strips

I confess, I usually go by eye for this bit...
A handful or so of:
  • rolled oats, chopped
OR
  • cornflakes, crushed
OR
  • savoury crackers, crushed
OR
  • bread crumbs
OR - any combination of the above...

With a little salt/pepper to taste...

Oil to grease a baking sheet.

Method:

Soak the chicken strips in the yoghurt/buttermilk for an hour or so...

Set the oven to 200 degrees C and lightly oil a baking sheet.

Take each strip of chicken out of the yoghurt/buttermilk and give it a bit of a shake before coating it in your chosen crumbage and laying it onto the baking sheet...

Bake for 10-15 mins until the chicken is thoroughly cooked... will depend on how thick you cut your strips.

Serve with tomato sauce, salad and potatoes. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment